Monday, February 7, 2011

Nice R.A.K.

While shopping at Hobby Lobby this weekend for zebra print and hot pink decor for my 6 year's "new" bedroom (Lord help me), my sister and I had the pleasure of experiencing the always elusive R.A.K. (Random Act of Kindness).  We were standing in line and the woman behind us tapped my sister on the shoulder and asked, “Excuse me…do you have a coupon?”  I thought she meant that she needed one, but then she handed us a coupon for 40% off any item not on sale and informed us that all of her purchases were on sale so she would be unable to use it.  As we had a pricier item that was, in fact, NOT on sale, we were really excited.  It seems really lame in the retelling, but just think about it--in all honesty, if you had a coupon for 40% off any item, wouldn’t you go seek out something to buy rather than give it to a couple of total strangers?  I probably would have mainly because it wouldn't occur to me to give it away!  Although, if you think about it, the good feeling goes both ways--it cost her nothing, she was genuinely pleased with our reaction to her kindness and walked out with her head held high and a smile plastered on her face!

This got me pondering the question: why don’t we commit small random acts of kindness that cost us little to nothing, just to make a person’s day?  Especially a stranger’s—makes the gesture even more unexpected. 

So, armed with my new found “do nice things” attitude, I would like to share some things that I guarantee, will make somebody else’s day and in turn make yours as well.  Let’s face it—it’s fun to nice things for other people--it makes you feel good about yourself!  Ok...here goes:

1.  Help load someone’s groceries into their car.  I did this at Wal Mart for two sweet, older ladies who were tickled pink to have some help.  It cost me nothing, it took less than two minutes and they drove away smiling and waving.

2.  If an employee of a store/restaurant/etc. is doing a good job representing their company, make it a point to tell their manager.  Retail and food service jobs are extremely difficult and often thankless jobs.  Employees have deal with the public (the good, the bad, and the unreasonable) in a profession where it is easy to make a customer mad and it honestly have nothing to do with anything that the employee has personally done wrong or had any control over.  Keep in mind that when managers get customer feedback about an employee it is usually negative, so it stands to reason that it is a bit of a relief to hear something positive.  And, it’s nice to be told that you are doing a good job every now and then.  Again, costs nothing, takes little to no time at all, and it makes someone’s day.

3. (This third example of a R.A.K. is by far my favorite!) One day while you are paying for lunch at a drive through—Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy’s, etc.—pay for the car behind you as well.  This is usually a $5.00-$10.00 investment and it will rock your world when you watch the reaction of the person in the next car in line via your rear view mirror.  I started these drive through R.A.K.’s three years ago around Christmas time and all I would ever say to the employee at the window was to please pass along my wishes for a happy holiday season.  Keep in mind this doesn’t have to apply only to the holidays!  “Happy Wednesday!” works wonders as well!  Trust me—it is the most fun and you will laugh to yourself the whole way back to work!

So, where do we go from here?  Well, I’d like to suggest that you pick one of these three Random Acts of Kindness and apply it to your week.  Trust me when I say that it will not only become something that you will incorporate into your daily life, but you will inspire other people to do the same type of thing…and it will be the highlight of your day! 

Share your experience in the comment section and it can serve as the "Lesson Learned" portion for this blog!  Can't wait to hear your stories! Also, feel free to post other ideas for a Random Act of Kindness...would love to have some new tricks up my sleeve!

2 comments:

  1. My staple Random Act of Kindness is ALWAYS saying something to a person whose style I like, even when they're a complete stranger or I have to go far out of my way to tell them. I remember one time when a girl at my favorite bakery absolutely made my day by asking where I get my hair cut. Ever since, I've asked SO MANY women the same question, even though I love the place I go and have no plans to change based on what they say! I think bashfulness is no excuse not to tell someone that you love their shoes, top, glasses, or whatever. Maybe they were afraid they weren't pulling it off and will now wear it over and over because of you. It's also easy in a town where nobody puts their groceries in a car or goes through drive-thrus. (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditto ivy lea! I'm always looking ladies up and down because I just love seeing how people put outfits together but when I realized it probably looks like I'm either giving the stink-eye or "pervin a dish", I decided I better say "cute outfit"! I say it to my friends all the time so why not strangers? Makes a lady's day.

    ReplyDelete