Friday, April 5, 2013

Two Shots with a Cherry On Top

As the mother of a first year middle schooler, this school year has been full of new discoveries.  I’ve had to learn a second language, (“totes,” “OMG,” “B-T-Dubs,” and most importantly—it’s always “bathroomNEVERpotty”), I’ve had to learn new methods of battle picking, (hormones are of the devil), I’ve had to find a new level of understanding when it comes to “personal space,” and I’ve had to learn new techniques in mediating between my daughter and her father when it comes to her fashion choices.  We’ve had school dances, skin care lessons, falling down stairs in high heels, crushes, bullies, sleepovers, PG-13 movies, light make-up for picture day, trips to the mall without constant parental supervision, student government, locker decorating, bra shopping, showers in the morning instead of bath time before bed, shaving lessons, overnight Youth trips, and the raiding of Mom’s closet…what we haven’t had is crawling in bed with Mommy and Daddy in the middle of the night after a nightmare, pony tails with ribbons to match the dress, hand holding in order to cross a parking lot, bedtime stories, cartoons, footie pajamas, hugging in public (without the now mandatory eye-roll), and the list goes on and on.  Don’t get me wrong.  I understand that change is good and that all of these things are the natural progression of life…however, I just didn’t realize that it would happen practically overnight.  One week in middle school and I went from Mommy to Mom faster than you can say “SERIOUSLY!”  However, this morning I got to have a brief moment with my little girl…

Carson is heading out next week for a four day trip with her fellow sixth graders and required a tetanus shot before she leaves.  So, this morning we made the trip to the doctor.  I could tell she was nervous, but putting on the usual brave, “whatevs” face about it.  We saw the doctor; he joked around, teased her about boys, and then went out to get her shot.  When he came back in, he brought dreaded news…it would be TWO shots instead of one.  She apparently was due for a second chicken pox vaccine unbeknownst to me.  He bravely delivered the news…and then promptly scurried out.  Once the door was closed, Carson’s face shifted from “whatevs” to “NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!” and then it immediately clouded up and rained.  I cuddled her in my arms, (she let me CUDDLE her!) and she wept.  Now, I am sure that there is a chapter in the "Crappy Mom’s Guidebook" about taking a small amount of pleasure in comforting your crying child, but it wasn’t as simple as that.  It was the act of being ALLOWED to comfort my crying child…it was that very brief glimpse of her where she was more little girl than young lady.  It was realizing that even though she is nearly as tall as I am, she will never be too big for me to wrap my arms around and hold while she cries.

Well, she pulled it together, practically shoved me away from her the second the door opened, (I knew it was too good to last), took each shot like a champ, and ten minutes later we were done.  With papers signed, band-aids on, and tears dried we walked out of the doctor’s office toward the car that would take her back into the quasi-adult world of middle school. When we got into the car, Carson turned to me and gave me my final lesson for the day saying, “Since I had to get TWO shots today, can we stop and get me a cherry slushy on the way to school?”

Some things you never grow out of.



1 comment:

  1. Aw! I nearly cried twice while reading this. Will you come cuddle me?!?!

    ReplyDelete